||1. Empty contents of capsules into mortar and triturate to a FINE powder.
2. Mix Ora-Plus® and Ora-Sweet® together (1:1) to make vehicle.
3. Gradually levigate powder with vehicle until a uniform liquid is formed. Mix THOROUGHLY after each addition of diluent.
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with vehicle.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
||Ora-Blend® can be used instead of Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1).
Crystallization may occur if powder is coarsely ground or if final product is refrigerated.
Based on pharmacy experience, storage in fridge may result in crystallization, therefore room temperature storage is recommended, even though references determined suspension to be stable for 91 days refrigerated (see Reference Section).
|| Amber Plastic Bottle
||Store at Room Temperature
|Storage/Expiry:||Room Temperature: 56 days|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Formulations: Gabapentin 100-mg/mL oral liquid. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding. 2006; 10(6):456.|
Nahata MC. Development of two stable oral suspensions for gabapentin. Pediatr Neurol 1999; 20:195-197.
Recommended a stability of 91 days refrigerated or 56 days room temperature with Ora-Plus®/ Ora-Sweet® (1:1) or Methylcellulose 1%/ Simple Syrup.
||Reference article from Pediatric Neurology 1999 is by same author.
Nahata MC, Pai VB, Hipple TF. Pediatric drug formulations. 5th ed. Cincinnati, OH: Harvey Whitney Books Company; 2003.