||1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Gradually levigate powder with water until a liquid is formed.
3. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
4. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with water.
5. Transfer to final container and label.
||Alternatively, to improve the consistency of the final product:
- a blender could be used to aid in the preparation, OR
- soak tablets in some water for 2 to 3 hours, then stir to make a paste, QS to final volume and let stand for approximately 24 hours at room temperature before dispensing, OR
- Place product into plastic bottle and shake for approximately 5 minutes.
Pentoxifylline SR tablets can be used instead of XL tablets to prepare the suspension.
|| Amber Plastic Bottle
||Can be stored at room temperature or refrigerated|
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator or Room Temperature: 91 days|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Formulations: Pentoxifylline 20 mg/mL oral suspension. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding 2008; 12(1):70. |
Abdel-Rahman S, Nahata MC. Stability of pentoxifylline in an extemporaneously prepared oral suspension. Am J Health Syst Pharm 1997 (Jun 1); 54(11):1301-1303.
Pentoxifylline 400 mg extended release tablets crushed and mixed with water:
- stored in glass and plastic prescription bottles
- stable for 91 days at room temperature or refrigerated