|| HAZARDOUS - Potential
Refer to the AHS Hazardous Medication Handling Guide for more information.
1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Mix Ora-Plus® and Ora-Sweet® together (1:1) to make vehicle.
3. Gradually levigate powder with vehicle until a liquid is formed.
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with vehicle.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
||To be prepared ONLY in the event that the commercial product is NOT available or unsuitable.
Strength of compounded formulation is different than the 50 mg/mL commercial preparation.
This strength is non-formulary.
Refer to Valganciclovir solution in AHS Formulary.
Ora-Blend® can be used instead of Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1).
||150 mL Amber Glass Bottle
||Hazardous medication - use safe handling precautions|
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator: 35 days|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:|| AHS Hazardous Medication Handling information available on Insite: http://insite.albertahealthservices.ca/17382.asp|
Henkin CC, Griener JC, Ten Eick AP. Stability of valganciclovir in extemporaneously compounded liquid formulations. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2003; 60:687-690.