||1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Mix Ora-Plus® and Ora-Sweet® together (1:1) to make vehicle.
3. Gradually levigate powder with vehicle until a liquid is formed.
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with vehicle.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
||May substitute Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1) with any of the following vehicles:
- Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet SF® (1:1)
- Ora-Blend SF®
- Cherry Syrup; please note recipe requires the ready-to-use cherry syrup and NOT the cherry syrup concentrate. If your site uses the concentrate, it MUST be diluted before using in the recipe.
Ora-Sweet SF® and Ora-Blend SF® should not be used in neonates less than or equal to 28 days corrected age.
Acetazolamide USP powder can be used instead of tablets in the event that tablets are not available.
||100 mL Amber Plastic Bottle
||Can be stored at room temperature or refrigerated|
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator or Room Temperature: 60 days|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Allen LV, Erickson MA. Stability of acetazolamide, allopurinol, azathioprine, clonazepam, and flucytosine in extemporaneously compounded oral liquids. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 1996; 53:1944-1949. |
Formulations: Acetazolamide 25-mg/mL oral liquid. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding 1997; 1(2):101.