|| HAZARDOUS - Potential
Refer to the AHS Hazardous Medication Handling Guide for more information.
1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Gradually levigate powder with simple syrup until a liquid is formed.
3. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
4. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with simple syrup.
5. Transfer to final container and label.
||To be prepared ONLY in the event that the commercial product is NOT available or unsuitable.
Strength of compounded formulation is different than the commercial preparation.
This strength is non-formulary.
Refer to Carbamazepine suspension in AHS Provincial Formulary.
Can be stored in plastic amber oral syringes if required.
|| Amber Glass Bottle
||Can be stored at room temperature or refrigerated|
||Hazardous medication - use safe handling precautions
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator or Room Temperature: 90 days |
|Last Date Revised:
|References:|| AHS Hazardous Medication Handling information available on Insite: http://insite.albertahealthservices.ca/17382.asp|
Burchart GJ. Hammond RW. Akers MJ. Stability of extemporaneous suspensions of carbamazepine. Am J Hosp Pharm. 1981; 38:1929-1931.