||1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Mix Ora-Plus® and Ora-Sweet® together (1:1) to make vehicle.
3. Gradually levigate powder with vehicle until a liquid is formed.
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with vehicle.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
||To be prepared ONLY in the event that the commercial product is NOT available or unsuitable.
Strength of compounded formulation is different than the commercial preparation.
This strength is non-formulary.
Refer to Theophylline oral solution in AHS Provincial Formulary.
May substitute Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1) with any of the following vehicles:
- Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet SF® (1:1)
- Ora-Blend SF®
Ora-Sweet SF® and Ora-Blend SF® should not be used in neonates less than or equal to 28 days corrected age.
|| Amber Plastic Bottle
||Store at Room Temperature
|Storage/Expiry:||Room Temperature: 90 days|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Johnson CD. VanDeKoppel S. Myers E. Stability of anhydrous theophylline in extemporanously prepared alchol-free oral suspension. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2005. 62:2518-2520. |