||1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Mix Ora-Plus® and Ora-Sweet® together (1:1) to make vehicle.
3. Gradually levigate powder with vehicle until a liquid is formed.
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with vehicle.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
||To be prepared ONLY in the event that the commercial product is NOT available or unsuitable.
Strength of compounded formulation is different than the commercial preparation.
This strength is non-formulary.
Refer to Ciprofloxacin suspension in AHS Provincial Formulary.
May substitute Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1) with any of the following vehicles:
- Methylcellulose 1%/ Simple Syrup (1:1)
Other strengths of ciprofloxacin tablets can be used. Adjust quantity as required to make a 50 mg/mL suspension.
Can be stored refrigerated (preferable) or room temperature.
|| Amber Plastic Bottle
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator: 91 days (preferred storage)|
||Room Temperature: 70 days
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Nahata MC. Morosco RS. Hipple TF. Development of stable oral suspensions of ciprofloxacin. Journal of Applied Therapeutic Research 2000; 3(1): 61-65.|
Nahata MC, Pai VB. Pediatric drug formulations. 6th ed. Cincinnati, Ohio: Harvey Whitney Books Company; 2011.