||1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Mix Ora-Plus and Ora-Sweet together (1:1) to make vehicle.
3. Gradually levigate powder with vehicle until a liquid is formed.
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with vehicle.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
||DO NOT use SUSTAINED-RELEASE tablets.
May substitute an appropriate amount of other regular strength diltiazem tablets if desired.
Use of APO brand tablets produces the most pharmaceutically elegant compound.
May substitute Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1) with any of the following vehicles:
- Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet SF® (1:1)
- Ora-Blend SF®
- Cherry Syrup; please note recipe requires the ready-to-use cherry syrup and NOT the cherry syrup concentrate. If your site uses the concentrate, it MUST be diluted before using in the recipe.
Ora-Sweet SF® and Ora-Blend SF® should not be used in neonates less than or equal to 28 days corrected age.
|| Amber Plastic Bottle
||Can be stored at room temperature or refrigerated|
||Protect From Light
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator or Room Temperature: 60 days|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Allen LV, Erickson MA. Stability of baclofen, captopril, diltiazem hydrochloride, dipyridamole, and flecainide acetate in extemporaneously compounded oral liquids. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 1996 (Sep 15); 53:2179-2184.|
Formulations: Diltiazem Hydrochloride 12-mg/mL oral suspension. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding 1997; 1(5):323.
Nahata MC, Pai VB, Hipple TF. Pediatric drug formulations. 5th ed. Cincinnati, OH: Harvey Whitney Books Company; 2003.