||1. Weigh the appropriate amount of dexamethasone sodium phosphate powder USP. Transfer into a mortar.
2. In a graduated measure, mix Ora-Plus® and Ora-Sweet® together (1:1) to make vehicle. Stir well.
3. Add a small volume of vehicle to the mortar. Wet the powder with the vehicle, incorporating all the powder in the mortar until a smooth paste is produced, adding more vehicle if needed.
4. Continue adding more vehicle, geometrically, mixing well after each addition until almost all the vehicle is added.
5. Transfer the contents of the mortar to a second graduated measure. Use additional vehicle to rinse remaining drug from the mortar.
6. QS to final volume with vehicle. Stir well.
7. Transfer the suspension to the final container and label.
||Ora-Blend® can be used instead of Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1).
Use Dexamethasone in Normal Saline recipe for neonates corrected age 28 days or less and patients on ketogenic diet.
Can substitute dexamethasone tablets for dexamethasone sodium phosphate powder USP.
March 20, 2020: In AHS dexamethasone sodium phosphate powder USP is the preferred product for compounding for the duration of the injectable dexamethasone backorder as the dexamethasone tablets are limited in supply
|| Amber Plastic Bottle
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator: 14 days |
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Chou JW, Decarie D, Dumont RJ, Ensom MHH. Stability of dexamethasone in extemporaneously prepared oral suspensions. Can J Hosp Pharm 2001; 54(2):96-101.|
Ensom M and Decarie D. Stability of extemporaneously compounded dexamethasone in glass and plastic bottles and plastic syringes. Can J Hosp Pharm 2014; 67(4): 274-279.
USP 34 – NF 29, 2nd Volume 1. Chapter 795: Pharmaceutical compounding – Nonsterile preparations. Rockville, MD, USA: United States Pharmacopeial Convention; 2010