||1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Mix Ora-Plus and Ora-Sweet together (1:1) to make vehicle.
3. Gradually levigate powder with vehicle until a liquid is formed.
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with vehicle.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
||May substitute Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1) with any of the following vehicles:
- Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet SF® (1:1)
- Ora-Blend SF®
Ora-Sweet SF® and Ora-Blend SF® should not be used in neonates less than or equal to 28 days corrected age.
|| Amber Plastic Bottle
||Can be stored at room temperature or refrigerated|
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator or Room Temperature: 60 days|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Allen LV Jr. Erickson MA III. Stability of labetalol hydrochloride, metoprolol tartrate, verapamil hydrochloride and spironolactone with hydrochlorothiazide in extemporaneously compounded oral liquids. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 1996; 53:2304-2309.|
||Hydrochlorothiazide 5 mg/mL oral suspension recipe (last updated May 2008).
SickKids Compounding Service [online recipes]. Toronto, ON: The Hospital for Sick Children. c1999 – [current date]. Available from: http://www.sickkids.ca/Pharmacy/Compounding-Service/index.html