||1. Weigh cholesterol powder.
2. Mix cherry syrup with a portion of Ora-Plus® and place into a metal bowl.
3. Using a spatula, add the cholesterol powder in aliquots to the syrup mixture. Manually mix until a smooth suspension is formed. (Note: an electric mixer should not be used).
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. QS to final volume with Ora-Plus®.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
|| Can make the recipe unflavored and with a lower osmolality by using Ora-Plus instead of Cherry syrup vehicle.
Cholesterol NF is an acceptable grade for human oral use
Refer to MSDS sheet for cholesterol powder.
- May cause irritation to eyes, skin, and upon inhalation and ingestion.
- The use of an approved dust mask is recommended. Wear rubber gloves, safety glasses, and protect exposed skin.
THIS FORMULATION IS NOT BASED ON LITERATURE, but is from unpublished data, historical use or physician/pharmacy experience.
||100 mL Amber Glass Bottle
||Protect From Light|
||Store at Room Temperature
|Storage/Expiry:||Room Temperature: 90 days|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Nahata MC, Pai VB, Hipple TF. Pediatric drug formulations. 6th ed. Cincinnati, OH: Harvey Whitney Books Company; 2011.|
Nationwide Children's Hospital Columbus Ohio, available from https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/specialties/pharmacy-services/compounding-formulas
Personal communication from Dr. Chitra Prasad, Metabolic Disorders, Children's Hospital, London Health Sciences Centre. December, 2019.
Personal communication from Karen Walsh, Compounding Pharmacist, Sick Kids Hospital, Toronto. December, 2019.