||1. In a mortar, crush tablets and triturate to a fine powder.
2. Mix Ora-Plus® and Ora-Sweet® together (1:1) to make vehicle.
3. Gradually levigate powder with vehicle until a liquid is formed.
4. Pour into a graduated cylinder.
5. Rinse mortar and qs to final volume with vehicle.
6. Transfer to final container and label.
||May substitute Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet® (1:1) with any of the following vehicles:
- Ora-Plus® / Ora-Sweet SF® (1:1)
- Ora-Blend SF®
- Simple Syrup/ Methylcellulose 1% solution preserved with Sodium Benzoate (1:2.5)
- Methylcellulose 1% solution/ Simple Syrup (1:9)
Ora-Sweet SF® and Ora-Blend SF® should not be used in neonates less than or equal to 28 days corrected age.
Refrigerated storage is preferred.
|| Amber Plastic Bottle
||Can be stored at room temperature or refrigerated|
|Storage/Expiry:||Refrigerator or Room Temperature: 12 weeks|
|Last Date Revised:
|References:||Allen Loyd V Jr. Sotalol hydrochloride 5 mg/mL oral suspension. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding 2011 (Sept/Oct); 15(5):425.|
Sidhorn MB. Rivera N. Almoazen H. Taft DR. Kirschenbaum HL. Stability of sotalol hydrochloride in extemporaneously prepared oral suspension formulations. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding 2005 (Sept/Oct); 9(5): 402-406.
Nahata MC, Morosco RS. Stability of sotalol in two liquid formulations at two temperatures. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2003; 37:506-509.
Nahata MC, Pai VB, Hipple TF. Pediatric drug formulations. 5th ed. Cincinnati, OH: Harvey Whitney Books Company; 2003.